The Contemporary New England Witch

The Contemporary New England Witch
Author Ms.Faith

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Some questions asked about being a witch

             Ms. Faith and her friend Gizmo the Wonderdoglet 2013




Good Afternoon, 

 Every now and again I collect the questions I am asked, in my role of running a witch store, and I post them with the answers for you.  Here are just a few of the questions I have been asked lately:


Is a witch Wiccan? Does a witch have to be Wiccan?  The answer is no. A witch is a person who recognizes the natural world and uses the natural elements around them to create needed change (create magick) in their lives. A Wiccan is one who follows Wicca, the religion of the Witches. But one does not need to be Wiccan to be a witch.

Do I have to have someone else make me a witch?  This one is no also. YOU and only you can determine if you are a witch. You can have someone initiate you into a tradition or a coven, but ultimately it comes down to what you consider yourself to be. If you feel like you may be a witch, you probably are. Start calling yourself one, own it for a time, and then see how it feels.

What do witches eat? This is one of the funnier questions I've been asked. The answer is simply, food! Yes, there are some vegan witches, vegetarian witches and some witches who eat meat. I don't find a correlation between a certain diet and being a witch. One thing I have noticed over the years, witches LOVE food. We could be the original foodies. Our eight witches Sabbats held throughout the year, all consist of a feast of some sort. And I have noticed many witches tend to be pretty darn good cooks and or bakers.

What's the difference between a brew and a potion, or are they the same thing? No, a brew and potion are NOT the same thing in witchcrafting. A brew is a magickal mixture that is meant to be drunk. Teas and broths with herbal additions can be called brews. Whereas a potion is meant to be used outside of the body more as a perfume. Some potions are not even meant to come in contact with the body, such as some strong protection potions that are meant to be sprinkled outside of doorways and windows. For safety sake be sure you know what you are dealing with before attempting to make or drink a magickal mixture.

These are just a few questions posed to me in my day to day magickal life. If you have questions, ask them in the comments section below. I will do my best to answer you promptly.



Peace and Happiness



© 2010-2014 Faith M. McCann. Portions of this blog posting may include materials from my book “Enchantments School for the Magickal Arts First Year Magickal Studies.” For more information, see www.enchantmentsschool.com or go to the title of tonight's discussion and click, it will link you to my school's website. Please note that the copying and/or further distribution of this work without express written permission is prohibited.  

If you know someone who would like my work, please send them this link. If you or they would like to be included on our daily email distribution list send me an e mail with your email address to be included. If you ever wish to unsubscribe to this blog, please contact me and you will be immediately removed from our list.