The Contemporary New England Witch

The Contemporary New England Witch
Author Ms.Faith

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Happy Mabon

 Good Evening,

Tonight we discuss Mabon, the Autumnal or Fall Equinox.  This is the second harvest and Mabon is thought to be the name of an ancient Celtic God of the Harvest.  Many people are sending Mabon blessings although techically the equinx occurs on Friday the 23rd this year.

The Equinox which also occurs in the spring is a time of equal length of daylight and darkness in a 24 hour period.  This is one of the Sabbats or Celebrations to be found on the Wiccan Wheel of the Year. 

A harvest celebration that is symbolized by the dried corn found in the fields, the corn stalks, pumpkins, gourds, and brightly colored autumn leaves.  A feast celebration, as are all Sabbat gatherings, which features the pies of the autumnal fruits, loaves of bread and its also traditional to eat pork at this Sabbat. Pork was considered a sacred food by the ancient Druid's and the Celtic people they governed.

It is the second food harvest with the first being August 1st, Lughnasa and the third and last Samhain,  October 31st. Mabon is a simple holiday with lots less huppla than say Beltaine or Samhain, but its significant as it marks an important time with the light starting to fade into the darkness of winter.  The harvest season is upon us and I often ask myself this time of the year .  .  .  what am I harvesting? It's a metaphorical question as I look at my life. I take responsibility for the people and circumstances I have in my life as I have in someway planted those seeds to grow into what I harvest now.

I think about the opportunities life is offering me, the possibilities and how I've grown and harvested past opportunities to be what they are today. Some things I  may need to weed out of my life, what? Oh, yes! You can weed out those and that,  that no longer benefits or serves you.  Get rid of the dead wood, and instead I try to put my energy and effort into the healthy, happy, and life enhancing people and situations that make life worth living.

We celebrated Mabon at Enchantments by erecting a labyrinth with candles, hundreds of candles and after a ritual of celebration and a fabulous feast put on by the students of Enchantments, with delicious roast pork, we walked the Labyrinth in the hopes that personal issues and puzzles could be worked out with the magic of the Labyrinth.  The photos below are taken of the Labyrinth as it burned the other night under a night sky with the full moon still present. 



 Happy Mabon Especially to you!



Peace and Happiness

© 2010-2011 Enchantments, LLC Portions of this blog posting may include materials from my book “Enchantments School for the Magickal Arts First Year Magickal Studies.” For more information, see www.enchantmentsschool.com or go to the title of tonight's discussion and click, it will link you to my school's website. 

If you know someone who would like my work, please send them this link. If you or they would like to be included on our daily email distribution list send me an e mail with your email address to be included. If you ever wish to unsubscribe to this blog, please contact me and you will be immediately removed from our list.